Celebrate Love in the PA Wilds – Local Gift Ideas for Valentine’s Day
It’s almost that special day of the year, when people show their love for one another with some sort of a celebration, tradition or gift.
We often see beautiful roses and flowers being delivered, sometimes accompanied by cute teddy bears. Perhaps it’s a night out to dinner and a movie… or maybe a couple shares a special box of chocolates that day each year.
Of course, I’m talking about February 14, a.k.a. Valentine’s Day.
Celebrate loved ones with something just as unique and special as they are this year by supporting small businesses and creative makers right here in the Pennsylvania Wilds.
There are so many local shops and products to choose from – and the Wilds Cooperative of Pennsylvania (WCO) directory makes it easier than ever to find the perfect local products and services to make your holiday extra special. The WCO is Pennsylvania’s largest growing network of creative makers and producers – and the co-op is sure to have just what you’re looking for.
Looking for a special gift? Check out our Artisans and Trading Posts – you’ll find a variety of craftspeople and retail shops that sell their products.
Chocolates are on nearly everybody’s wish list.
- Highland Chocolates offers crisp jumbo chocolate-covered apples, juicy chocolate-covered strawberries, truffle-filled heart-shaped boxes and so much more!
- Try the toffee pieces, chocolate-covered nuts and dried fruits, almond bark, or other savory treats offered by Goblin Chocolates.
If you’re looking for jewelry, look no further.
- Visit patinaz in Lycoming County, where you can purchase necklaces and earrings from Jules Artwear and Simply Sterling Designs, among other regional artisans.
- Get your hands on some of the beautifully-crafted pieces made offered by Stephanie Distler Artisan Jewelry, including fine copper pendants and adorned felt brooches.
- Discover a botanical sculpture pendant necklace or pair of earrings, made out of cold porcelain by Amanda Lewis.
- Check out Jabebo Earrings in Bellefonte for jewelry made out of recycled materials.
- View the intricately-decorated bead brooches made by Peggy Houser
- Find local artisan jewelry and products at Elk County Council on the Arts, Cameron County Artisan Center or at the Clinton County Arts Council.
Stuffed animals, romantic care products and more!
- Muddy Moose Bath Boutique is offering conversation heart bath bombs for the holiday, in addition to custom school Valentines for parents that don’t want to send more candy to school: mini bath bombs and lip balm.
- Michele J Designs creates collectible red and pink mohair elephant keepsakes.
- A variety of romantic care products are offered by Sue’s Salves and Rose Valley Natural Soaps.
- Stacie Johnson-Leske of Your Fired Pottery leaves a signature mark on her handled wares: her thumbprints in the shape of heart.
- Molly O’Bryon Welpott is offering a special photo in a red frame for the Valentine’s Day: a natural tree heart.
Date Night Ideas & Unique Experiences
Wilds Cooperative members also offer a variety of unique opportunities that could make your Valentine’s Day a special one to remember. If you’re seeking out a special night out, you can look through Host Site members for restaurants, breweries, theaters and other entertainment that might tickle your fancy.
- Take your significant other out for craft burgers at Odd Fellas (Clinton County).
Enjoy a five-course, romantic dinner for two with live entertainment at Gateway Lodge (Clarion County) on February 3 or 10, or inquire about their Valentine Romance Package for a getaway.
- Enjoy Pennsylvania brews and a locally-sourced meal at Broken Axe Brew House (Clinton County).
- Book a therapeutic massage, and a night out, at La Belle Auberge Bed & Breakfast in Wellsboro (Tioga County), which offers an in-house spa.
Consider booking a tour of Straub Brewery (Elk County) and learning more about this designated American Legacy Brewery™ with over 142 years in brewing in the Pennsylvania Wilds.
- Catch a movie the traditional way at Victoria Theatre (Tioga County).
- Head over to Flickerwood Wine Cellars’ Lounge (McKean County) for their weekly FWC Kane Pasta Night, featuring Zampogna family Italian recipes.
- Get a massage and find the perfect locally-made gifts at Emerge Healing Arts & Spa/Boutique & Gallery in Wellsboro (Tioga County).
- Enjoy a relaxing getaway at Susquehannock Lodge (Potter County), Dancing Bear Lodge (Clinton County), Gateway Lodge (Clarion County) or Laurelwood Inn & Steakhouse (Potter County).
- Participate in a personal fused glass workshop with Kathleen Schnell, Cottage Glassworks in Tioga County.
- Schedule a portrait session with Budget Artist Bill Crowell (Clinton County), Kyle Yates (Jefferson County), Greg Souchik (McKean County), Karen Heltzel at Moments in Time Studio (Warren County), or Dan and Tonyia Wennin (Cameron County).
Find contact information for the above listings, or search the full WCO directory, at www.wildscopa.org/directory to find the perfect gift for your loved one today. On that site you can also peruse the Wilds Cooperative Buyers Guide, a free catalog available by digital download that features products and services offered by members of the WCO.
The Wilds Cooperative of Pennsylvania is a program managed by the PA Wilds Center for Entrepreneurship, Inc., a regional nonprofit organization working to integrate conservation and economic development within the 12.5 counties of the Pennsylvania Wilds.