May is National Bike Month: Why bike in the PA Wilds?
From highway bicycling, to mountain biking, trail biking and even BMX, the Pennsylvania Wilds is paradise for those who love to pedal. With beautiful scenery surrounding, biking is one of the most popular activities in the Pennsylvania Wilds region.
May is national bike month, and what better place to go for a ride than a state park or forest?
It only takes two to four hours a week to achieve a general improvement to your health.
Here are some reasons to try cycling:
- Low impact — it causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise.
- A good muscle workout — cycling uses all the major muscle groups as you pedal.
- Good for strength and stamina — cycling increases stamina, strength, and aerobic fitness.
- As intense as you want — cycling can be done at very low intensity to begin with, if recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- A fun way to get fit — the adventure and buzz you get from coasting down hills and being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly, compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time-efficient — as a mode of transport, cycling replaces sedentary (sitting) time spent driving motor vehicles or using trains or buses with healthy exercise.
Reasons to start cycling, courtesy of the Pennsylvania Department of Natural Resources.
More From Our Blog