Enjoy a Movie in a Classic Theater in the PA Wilds
Regardless of the season, classic movie theaters are the perfect place to escape for some fun – taking you out of the heat of summer or tucking you away from the winter cold.
Whether you’re on a journey trekking through the great outdoors and want a quick taste of small town civilization and a movie, or you’re a local who is looking for a short escape – the Pennsylvania Wilds has you covered: there is a classic, mom-and-pop-style theater nearby.
The Victoria Theatre in Blossburg, PA (Tioga County) is one such movie theater.
Located a short drive from the magnificent views of the Pine Creek Valley and PA Grand Canyon, The Victoria Theatre has been entertaining movie-goers since the 1920s.
Like many theaters that opened that decade and prior, the theater originally featured black-and-white silent films. Sound would come to films in the 1930s. In the mid 1970s, after decades of showing movies, the Victoria Theater was shuttered and the building sat unused for roughly 35 years.
That all changed in 2009. The building was purchased and the movie theater was resurrected. By fall of 2010, Victoria Theatre reopened to the public and is back to entertaining crowds. Tom and Tonya McNamara are now the proud owners of an historic asset to their local community and the couple is excited to be bringing it into the 21st century through a variety of renovations and technology.
Today, the theater offers digital projection and sound, assisted-listening devices for hearing impaired, and a friendly-family atmosphere. In addition to providing traditional movie entertainment, the theater can be reserved for birthday parties, conferences, sponsored public movie showings and more. (There is even a stage available for theatrical shows!)
Victoria Theatre is a Host Site member of the Wilds Cooperative of Pennsylvania, one of rural Pennsylvania’s largest networks of creative entrepreneurs. Learn more about the theater and current showings at 222 Main St., Blossburg, by visiting http://www.victoriablossburg.com/ or calling (570) 638-3456.
OTHER THEATERS LOCATED IN THE PENNSYLVANIA WILDS
50 Main St., Wellsboro, PA 16901
Located in the Pine Creek Valley & the PA Grand Canyon Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, the Arcadia Theatre opened in December 1921 as a one-screen theater that seated 900. Like many theatres of the period – the Arcadia often featured orchestral ensembles during the silent films. By 1929, the theater was offering “talkies.” The Arcadia Theatre reopened in 1997 with a grand renovation in celebration of its 75th year. The state-of-the-art, 4-screen facility preserves the classic look of old-time cinema, while also combining special events and offerings.
Roxy Movie Theatre
308 E. Main St., Lock Haven, PA 17745
Located in the I-80 Frontier Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, the Roxy Movie Theatre was built in 1924. The original 811-seat, one-room theatre now offers three screens in one convenient location. In 1999, an addition was put on the building to accommodate two new theatres. The original, main screen theatre now seats 268 and also offers an additional 77 seats on the original balcony, available for parties or events. Movies air daily. The interior of the main theatre features two large 1930s murals, rendered in Art Deco style by an Italian painter, that were restored in 1998.
127 North Front St., Philipsburg, PA 16866
Located in the I-80 Frontier Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds and built in 1917 by Charles Hedding Rowland, a U.S. Congressman and soft coal magnate, the Rowland Theatre is on the National Register of Historic Places. The original marquee, made of opaque white and green glass, is partially intact and the lobby features painted murals and a stained glass skylight. Now owned by the Borough of Philipsburg, the theatre is managed as a non-profit organization.
11 Germania St., Galeton, PA 16922
The Lakeview Cinema of Galeton is a one-of-a-kind renovation: an old Baptist church turned cinema center. Located in the Dark Skies Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, the 1900 structure was purchased in the late 1990s and turned into a movie theater. Facing Pine Creek, the theater still features the church’s original sloping floors and high tin ceilings.
Apollo Theatre of St Marys
19 N. Michael St., St. Marys, PA 15857
Located in the Elk Country Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, the first show to air at the Apollo Theatre of St Marys was a silent film that debuted in 1928, the year of the theater’s construction. In 1929, a sound system was installed and the first talking picture was featured. Today, you’ll find a remodeled historic theater that meets modern standards. Showing movies at 7 p.m. daily unless otherwise noted, the theater also offers a Sunday matinee.
Main Street Movie House
123 Main St., Bradford, PA 16701
Located in the Allegheny National Forest & the Surrounds Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds and described as an art-deco theater, the Main Street Movie House offers 2-D and 3-D showings daily. The locally-owned theater also boasts state-of-the-art surround sound. Check out Bargain Tuesday, where tickets are $5 and popcorn and fountain drinks are half off.
The Ritz Theater of Clearfield
111 E. Market St., Clearfield, PA 16830
Located in the I-80 Frontier Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, The Ritz Theater of Clearfield has been entertaining cinema-goers since 1928. The building, assembled to accommodate a theater, was initially built in the 1890s. An auditorium was built onto the back in 1926. The theater seats 640 people and offers daily showings.
11 N. Main St., Coudersport, PA 16915
Located in the Dark Skies Landscape of the Pennsylvania Wilds, the Coudersport Theatre opened its doors with a showing of “A Wise Fool” in January 1923 and was a hub for performances and shows alike. The theatre, once showing films daily, continues to offer viewings Friday through Monday evenings. Although the theatre has undergone many changes throughout its history, one thing that hasn’t changed since its installation in April 1928 is the large theatre curtain, depicting legendary Spanish knight Amadis de Gaula and Spanish dancers beneath mystic blossoms of a tree.